Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Great Picture

I was trying to find a better version of this but couldn't because the NYT's $40 million paywalled website sucks. Anyway, here is a semi-acceptable version:


You probably can't read the caption, but that is an African American child dressing up like President Obama for a Fourth of July parade float. Awesome. Amid the constant stream of hateful bull shit and implicit racism that is perpetually directed at the President, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that his election was a tremendously significant event both in cultural and ethnic terms.

And I like this picture even more because when I was young, there was an annual Fourth of July parade in my neighborhood. I would inevitably end up getting dressed up as Uncle Sam by my mother and sisters for our float. It's kinda cool to see this manifest itself in a new generation, albeit in a different and much more significant way. 

1 comment:

  1. Correction from your sister: you dressed as a candidate in the 1988 4th of July Parade and you won first place for your age category. You were 4. It was glorious.

    ReplyDelete