Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Holiday Gaming

I haven't had much time for blogging lately, what with all my spare time being consumed by the Christmas break and video games. It's a pretty rough gig. I got Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for Christmas, and then picked up The Force Unleashed 2, Bayonetta, and Splinter Cell: Conviction (the later of the two for only $29 total).

I haven't gotten into Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood much yet, because I assume it will be awesome and I have just been working my way through some of the others. TFU2 was a horrible, horrible, waste of goddamned money disappointment. I don't even know how Lucasarts could put out such dreck in good conscience, but then again, there's probably not a lot of that left at that company at this point. George Lucas is pretty much a money whore. See Zero Punctuation's review for a completely accurate depiction of the game. This guy makes his living off of being overly negative in his write-ups, but every negative about the game that he highlights is merited. It's an enjoyable game for the 3-4 hours that you get to play it, but I mean what the fuck? Like ZP says, I have played DLC for other games that was about that long, and I only paid $4.99 for the privilege of doing so.

Have not tried Bayonetta yet, although I hear it's supposed to be pretty entertaining. Splinter Cell: Conviction has been very enjoyable so far (hard not to be considering I only paid $9 for it). It feels a bit like watching an episode of "24" at times: disgruntled, grizzled, ex-federal agent whose demeanor and appearance scream "Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in," a government conspiracy at the highest echelons of power, torture/interrogation fetishes, and of course, guards that don't shut the fuck up. But it's a lot of fun. The mark/execute combat system is pretty entertaining, although it starts to feel repetitive and overpowered after a while. But I mean...$9? Am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment